These salad wraps are incredibly tasty and simple to make. Use this recipe as a base for a solid keto chicken salad, adding any extra toppings as desired!
What is Guacatillo?
Guacatillo is a Mexican based sauce prepared by blending avocado and tomatillos, yielding a highly delicious and full-bodied green sauce. This sauce coats sliced or pulled chicken incredibly well and adds tons of moisture and flavor. Nothing more to it.
Think of this as a healthy keto Mexican-ish salad wrap. Use your favorite crunchy salad leaves of choice for the wrap or shell.
- 1 Lb or 16 ounces chicken, cooked, diced
- 8 tablespoons Guacatillo sauce
- 4 tablespoons pistachio, lightly roasted
- 4 teaspoons slivered almonds nuts, lightly roasted
- 8 Romaine lettuce leaves, shocked and rinsed
- 8 Cherry tomatoes, rinsed, halved
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or neutral oil)
- 1-2 dashes Tabasco
- 4 teaspoon cotija cheese, crumbled
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Spray oil
- Garnish: Paprika powder
- Knife and Cutting board
- 3 Medium bowls
- Measuring spoons
- 2 Baking sheet, 1 large & 1 small with foil
Step One: Dice and Cook the Chicken
Preheat your oven to 425F (215C).
Dice the raw chicken and combine into a medium bowl with salt and pepper, mix to evenly season chicken. Spread chicken evenly on a foil-lined baking sheet sprayed with oil.
To avoid cross-contamination and potential food-borne illness, wash your cutting board, knife, hands, and any other surface where the raw chicken breast was handled.
Always clean and sanitize your working station after dealing with raw proteins to prevent food-borne illness.
Bake for 14 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (165F internal temp). Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature for 5 min. then transfer to a fridge to finish cooling down.
Step Two: Make Guacatillo Sauce and Prep Ingredients
Prepare the Guacatillo sauce as directed on the recipe. Feel free to make this recipe ahead of time and have it available for your meal prep rotation. The sauce will naturally oxidize over time and begin turning brown (due to the avocado); so be sure to use the sauce within 5 days of making it.
To prevent avocado based sauces from oxidizing, turning brown, add ascorbic or citric acid in powder form to curve the oxidization process.
In the oven, lightly toast the pistachios and slivered almonds for 5 minutes then remove and let cool at room temp.
Prepare your lettuce wraps by cutting off the bottom core portion of the lettuce. Separate the largest nicest looking leaves, for a total of 8 whole lettuce leaves and prepare to shock them.
Fill a large bowl with ice water (half ice + half water), and carefully 'shock' the lettuce leaves for ~5 minutes. Halve cherry tomatoes and keep aside in a small container until needed.
"Shocking" is a culinary term that means to plunge greens in ice water to keep the color bright and the texture crip (crissssspppp - that's right).
Step Three: Put It all Together
Once all ingredients are cooled and ready, use a scale to measure 4 ounces of the diced chicken, 2 tablespoon of the Guacatillo sauce, 1 tablespoon of pistachios, 1 teaspoon of slivered almonds, a few halved cherry tomatoes, and a dash of Tabasco. Mix gently to fully incorporate the sauce into all ingredients.
Divide the chicken mix into two Romaine lettuce leaves. Sprinkle a small amount of paprika for color and garnish, plus 1 teaspoon of cotija cheese. Store in an airtight container.
The macros for this recipe are:
330 kcal; 21g Fat; 5g Net Carb (11g CHO - 6g DF); 28g Protein. A perfectly balanced meal.
Helpful Tips for Storing and Serving:
- If you are preparing multiple of these for the week, store the chicken mixed with the rest of the ingredients in one container, and the rinsed Romaine lettuce leaves in a separate container. Plate the night prior. This will help retain the freshness of the lettuce as the week goes by.
- Also feel free to use the chicken mixture for any other kind of meal prep dishes. Have fun and get creative with this recipe!
- If you want to save even more time, simply make the Guacatillo Sauce and combine it with our A La Carte Chicken Breast! The recipe prep time is reduced by half!
Meal Prep like a Pro
Want to get more out of your weekly meal prep efforts? Stick to your calorie goals and maximize results with this free meal prep toolkit for weight loss. An RD-written guide complete with macro meal planner, food lists, and expert advice to help you lose weight quickly.