As we mentioned in this recipe, cauliflower is in! Cauliflower is part of the Brassica family, and it contains a wide array of micronutrients and natural antioxidants like vitamin C and folate; surprisingly, the cooking method affects the retention and release of certain nutrients (1).
One study also suggests that consumption of Brassica family members (like cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, turnips, and mustard) may be potential beneficial to gastrointestinal health (2). So to make the most out of your cauliflower nutrients for this recipe, we suggest you either steam or roast your cauliflower to retain as many nutrients as possible (1). And bonus! Roasting caramelizes the cauliflower and provides a richer flavor. (Fascinating, right? We are kind of food geeks over here).
- When roasting the cauliflower, high heat is your friend. Look for color in the cauliflower, as this caramelization yields massive amounts of flavor. My favorite way of seasoning vegetables in general is salt, pepper, and olive oil (not extra virgin) or grape seed oil.
- Feel free to use soy milk instead of cream. Coconut cream is also a good substitute, but adds extra carbs, making this dish not 100% keto friendly.
- Net Carbs per serving is 5g, or 1/3 of a carb exchange.
- Eliminate the turkey bacon to make the recipe vegan. Note this will alter the macronutrients, and the protein and fat will decrease.
- Also eliminate cheese to make vegan, if desired, and double up on the nutritional yeast.
- If you are looking for deeper richer flavor, I would encourage you to caramelize sliced onions and mix them into the cauliflower mash. America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Illustrated Magazine published some research on the fact that vegan deep meat-like flavor can be developed when onions are caramelized to a deep-rich level. By adding water, and constantly stirring your sizzling onions, over an extended period of time, you can achieve a deep caramelized product. Cool them after they have achieved a rich product, and mix them into the mash!
This recipe provides a beautiful keto diet substitute for a typical holiday starchy side. Make this any day of the year to accompany your keto meals, or add half of it to your mashed potatoes to increase your nutrients!
Want to Save Time?
Make your meal prep faster with precooked items from our A La Carte menu.