Traditional hot wings are battered, buttered, fried and loaded with calories. But as it turns out, all you really need to enjoy this popular protein is a solid spice rub and a simple glaze. By skipping out on a lot of the oil, you'll end up saving hundreds of calories and your taste buds won't miss a thing. This recipe is also keto, paleo friendly and gluten free!
Use this recipe with this meal prep toolkit for weight loss. A complementary, RD-written guide to crushing your macros, getting results, and building your ultimate weekly meal plan.
How to Make Baked Hot Wings
Getting catered wings is expensive, not to mention they almost never travel well. Baking wings is cheap, easy, and requires minimal prep time.
To make these wings you'll need:
- 2 pounds of chicken wings (patted dry)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 12 ounces hot sauce
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix garlic powder, paprika, oregano, salt, and chili flakes in a small bowl.
- Rub spice mix on the chicken wings and place on a lightly greased baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes until crispy.
- In a small saucepan, mix the hot sauce, coconut oil, and apple cider vinegar over low heat.
- Add a dash of garlic powder, salt and black pepper to the sauce and continue to stir over low heat for 5 minutes.
- When the chicken has finished baking, add to a large bowl and toss with sauce until evenly coated.
- Serve with your favorite low calorie dipping sauce and enjoy!
Feel free to get creative with the rub and add in unique pepper seasonings like achiote, chipotle, and smoked paprika. Turn up the heat by adding more chili flakes or take it back a few notches by swapping in black pepper instead.